Aresco of Tidewater, LLC
3452 Chandler Creek Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23453
We Are Here When You Need Us Most
24-Hour Emergency Services
Preparing For A Hurricane
Disasters can strike anyone, anytime, and anywhere which is why it's important for the 1.7 million residents who call the Hampton Roads region home to take steps to prepare themselves and their families before a hurricane hits.
I. Make a Kit: Having an Emergency Supply kit is essential to making it through a disaster safely. At the minimum make sure to fill your kit with enough of these essential items to last each person at least three days:
* Food that does not need electricity for storage or preparation
* Manual can opener for food
* At least three gallons of water per person
* Battery-powered/hand-crank radio with weather band and extra batteries
* Written family emergency plan
II. Make a Plan: Because emergency can strike at any time, it is important to decide ahead of time how you and your family will react if and when a disaster comes. Emergency plans should include:
* Discussing with your family the types of disaster that are most likely to happen and what to do in each case
* Deciding where your family will meet in case you can't return home.
* Asking an out-of-town friend or relative to be your emergency contact, making sure all familly members know to call this person in an emergency to check in.
* Making a visual or written record of your possessions to help you claim losses in the event of damage.
* Making additional plans for pets, and for elderly or disabled neighbors who might need extra assistance.
III. Stay Informed: During a disaster, it’s critical that you listen for information from emergency officials, so make sure a battery-powered radio is in your emergency kit. Also consider signing up your local alert program. Local media will convey instructions from the government such as orders to evacuate, details about evacuation routes and shelters, weather warnings and watches, how to safely stay where you are, where to find assistance.